Monday, December 11, 2006

Counselor Profile-Joel!


A few weeks ago, we asked Joel Leagans, Furman Senior, Counselor and all around nice guy a few questions regarding his experiences with Bridges to a Brighter Future and Furman in general. What follows are his (very candid!) answers:

1. How has Bridges shaped your experiences at Furman? Has it changed your goals or career aspirations? Bridges has been the highlight of my entire Furman experience. I honestly do not know where I would be in life right now if I hadn’t gotten into Bridges. Working at a lumber mill or attending law school are definite, miserable, possibilities. This program made me realize how much I love working with students, and people in general, and that going into education was truly my calling. I switched from pre-law to education because of this program and I have a gut feeling that I am going to be much happier in my life because of it. That moment when you realize what you want to do for the rest of your life is a great feeling that I hope each and every one of you gets to experience. Getting good grades and attending college all open the doors to different possibilities and opportunities that can put you in places you never thought possible. That is what Bridges is all about.

2. Since you've been a counselor for 2 summers, how has your experience changed from year to year?
I was not as "on the ball" the [first] summer as I wished I could have been. Coming into the summer I really didn’t know what to expect or how to handle a lot of the situations I would be faced with. Training was good but nothing can replace experience. My first summer was much more challenging and I don’t believe I stepped up to the plate like I should have. I wasn’t as involved in the day to day activities of the students and just not their for them like I would later wish I had been.
This summer was amazing and probably perfect. The fact that nobody went home almost speaks for itself. Every single one of the counselors contributed something to the overall success of the program and worked as a cohesive unit for the whole month. I personally felt like I put all of myself into the summer as I could as well. I am extremely proud of everything that the students and counselors accomplished and hope that this will serve as a good foundation for the future of the program.

3. What's your favorite thing about Bridges? The most challenging?
my favorite thing would have to be the last night when everybody mends bridges, lets it all out and says goodbye. The last night is when everything really comes together and we recognize what the students have accomplished.
The most challenging thing was my first summer figuring out how to balance discipline with being a friend. I didn’t realize that I could discipline relentlessly and still be the students friends until my second year so that first summer I probably chose to be a friend before being the person in charge which was a hindrance at times.

We'll hear more from Joel in 2007. More to come!

No comments: