Friday, August 18, 2006

Both Sides of the Bridge-Casey Crisp


Casey Crisp (pictured right) is a Bridges graduate who has come full circle: she not only attends Furman as a student, but she works as a counselor for Bridges! We asked Casey a few questions about this transition, and Bridges in general. Here is the complete text of the interview:

1. What was your experience like as a student at Bridges? Did it help you in deciding to come to Furman?
I think Bridges had a huge impact on my decision to come to Furman. I loved this atmosphere and the helpfulness of everyone. Bridges also helped to open up my eyes to the possibility of coming to Furman financially.

2. Has your furman experience lived up to your expectations?
Absolutely. Furman is a very different place from the inside looking out than it was as a community member, but I've enjoyed seeing the aspects of Furman that I had not experienced as a Bridges student, such as the student body, professors, and academic challenges.

3. What made you decide to work as a counselor?
When I reflect back on my Bridges experience, I often think of my counselors and how they impacted my life. I wanted to do that for the current Bridges students. I wanted to be that person that they could depend on for support and encouragement.

4. What is it like working with Mrs. Swartz first as a student, then as a staff member?
VERY DIFFERENT!! I never realized how much energy and concern she put into this program until I was on the other side. Of course I knew she cared about the students and was always very supportive of each of us, but I did not see the careful thought and love that she put into each decision to make sure this program was the absolute best it could be. I developed a whole new respect for her and the work that she puts into her job- she's amazing!

5. How is Bridges different as a counselor? It's completely different. I have completely new responsibilities and concerns. It really made me wish that I would have been even more grateful for everything Bridges provided for me as a student. It's amazing to see all of the behind the scenes of the program that I could have never imagined as a student. There are so many people who care about this program and the students.

6. How has Bridges impacted your life?
Bridges provided me with opportunities I would not have had anywhere else. I was opened up to a whole new world of diversity and challenges. The Bridges students remind me each day that anything is possible, because they continue to amaze me with their strength, hard work, and determination to achieve their dreams.

7. You're working as the studnet coordinator for Saturday College this year. how did that come about?
Mrs. Swartz presented me with the opportunity to work in the Saturday College program and this position seemed to be a good fit. We are in the process of getting some great things planned and I really believe this is going to make a tremendous impact on the Bridges program.

8. Would you like to work as a counselor again?
Absolutely!! This was the best summer job I've ever had. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my summer than working with 70 amazing high school students.

Look for part of this interview, along with much more, on the newsletter-coming soon!

No comments: